CONGRATULATIONS, GRADUATING STUDENTS! Your Commencement is a special and memorable day. This page contains important information for you and your guests.
Skip to a section
Commencement will be recorded and photographed for distribution through various SF State outlets. All audience members (or parents/ guardians of minors attending the event) agree to the possibility of appearing on these recordings and photographs by virtue of attending Commencement or participating in Commencement.
3:30 p.m. Doors open to guests and graduating students.
- Graduating students enter at the Marina Gate Entrance and will be staged in the AT&T Park Garden.
- Graduating students do not need a ticket to enter but must be wearing full SF State regalia.
- Guests may enter at the Willie Mays Plaza Entrance, Lefty O’Doul Entrance or Second Street Entrance.
- Concessions are open throughout AT&T Park including the graduating students staging area.
5:15 p.m. Graduating students must be assembled in the staging area (accessible by the Marina Gate Entrance).
Any graduating student who is not inside the Grad Zone by 5:15 PM will not be able to take part in the procession.After 5:15 PM, enter the park through any guest entrance and ask an attendant to direct you to the graduate seating area in the Lower Box section.
5:30 p.m. Graduating student procession begins.
6:30 p.m. Ceremony begins (estimated time).
9:30 p.m. Fireworks – Ceremony concludes (estimated time).
Graduating students and degree candidates who wish to participate in Commencement are required to wear SF State-specific academic attire. Academic attire specifically for SF State can be rented from the SF State Bookstore.
Student Regalia Distribution Dates and Times:
May 14th-17th: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
May 18th: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
May 19th: 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
May 21st-23rd: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- The master rental set includes cap, gown, tassel and hood. Graduating students keep the cap and tassel.
- Honors cords, sashes and stoles of gratitude along with other graduation accessories are also available for purchase from the SF State Bookstore.
- You will receive your seven (7) Commencement tickets when you pick up your rented or purchased cap and gown. Tickets are part of your fee to rent or purchase regalia. For more information, please visit the Guest Ticket Policy page.
- All graduating students will walk through a metal detector as they enter – for speed we suggest you have your gown open. If the device detects something on a graduate, the graduate will be checked with a handheld wand and there will be further security follow up, if needed. Bags will be checked.
To participate in the procession ceremony all graduates must be assembled in the staging area (accessible by the Marina Gate Entrance) by 5:15 pm. Any graduating student who is not inside the Grad Zone by 5:15 PM will not be able to take part in the procession. After 5:15 PM, enter the park through any guest entrance and ask an attendant to direct you to the graduate seating area in the Lower Box section.
- Please refer to Venue Rules. All are applicable to graduates.
- Faculty Marshals will direct graduating students on how to enter the stadium during the procession and how to proceed to the diploma platform.
- Graduating students must carry their belongings during the diploma procession and will not be returning to the same seat after receiving their diploma. Travel light and only bring what you are willing to carry across the diploma platform.
- You may leave your gown as you exit the park in the designated bins.
- Be respectful of fellow graduates and stay for the entire ceremony. You will be rewarded with a special fireworks show!
The following ballpark rules will be enforced:
- No alcohol (this includes non-alcoholic beer and wine) or illegal drugs may be brought into AT&T Park. Anyone found drinking under the legal age, using illegal drugs or breaking any other laws, will be subject to immediate ejection and criminal prosecution. Any guest perceived to be in an intoxicated or impaired state may be denied admission to the park. Alcohol will not be available for purchase at this event.
- AT&T Park is a smoke-free ballpark. Electronic smoking and smoking by vaporization are included in this "smoke-free" designation and are prohibited. Guests who fail to comply with AT&T Park's no-smoking policy may be asked to exit the ballpark.
- Guests or graduates entering the playing field, or who throw (or attempt to throw) objects in the stands or onto the field, are subject to ejection and criminal prosecution. You will also be held liable for any fines and/or damage.
- Guests should keep their tickets with them at all times.
- Sealed plastic bottles and soft-sided juice containers containing non-alcoholic beverages are allowed. All unsealed containers will be subject to inspection and may be confiscated. Glass and metal cans are not permitted. Alcoholic beverages cannot be brought into the ballpark regardless of container.
- Items intended for sale or trade may not be brought onto AT&T Park property, including the main parking lot, without a permit or license.
- Air horns, beach balls and signs that obstruct the view of others are prohibited in the ballpark. These items may be confiscated.
- Large bags or containers measuring OVER 16" x 16" x 8" are NOT allowed into the ballpark. All permitted bags, including purses, briefcases and diaper bags (smaller than 16" x 16" x 8") will be searched before entering the park.
- All guests will walk through a metal detector as they enter. If the device detects something on a guest, the guest will be checked with a handheld wand and there will be further security follow up, if needed. Bags will be checked.
Guest tickets are distributed to graduating students when picking up regalia. Tickets are included in the fee to rent or purchase regalia. Each graduating student participating in Commencement receives up to seven (7) guest tickets. You need one ticket for every person entering AT&T Park except for graduating students in regalia. Children younger than 2 years old do not need a ticket for entry. Please note that replacement tickets will not be issued if your allotment is lost or destroyed. SF State prohibits the direct or indirect sale or auction of Commencement tickets.
No additional tickets will be distributed. If you need more than seven (7) tickets you may be able to obtain them from fellow graduating students who will not be using their full allotment. The Commencement Office will not have any extra tickets for distribution.
For more information, visit the Guest Tickets page.
Please visit the Transportation page for a full listing of public transportation and parking options.
SF State is committed to providing every guest, including those with vision, hearing, mobility or other disabilities, with a comfortable and enjoyable experience at AT&T Park. AT&T Park is an accessible event space. You can find additional information in the Disability Access Page.
The 2018 Commencement speaker will be announced after the selection has been made.