The ceremony includes the graduates’ procession, presidential address, student speakers, the awarding of honorary degrees, conferring of degrees and the Commencement address.
At the Commencement ceremony, you will receive a diploma cover. Your actual diploma will be sent to the address you listed on your graduation application.
Because more than 5,000 students are expected to attend, it is not possible to recognize each individual by name. You will be shown on the large screen as you process into the ballpark and as you received your diploma cover.
Graduates will proceed into Oracle Park on the warning track which surrounds the playing field. Please follow the direction of faculty marshals and ballpark security staff
Please note that any graduate or guest entering the playing field or throwing (or attempting to throw) objects will be immediately ejected from the ballpark and held liable for any fines and/or damage. There will be no exceptions. We thank you for complying with this very important rule.
3:30 p.m. Doors open to guests and graduating students.
- Graduating students enter at the Marina Gate Entrance and will be staged in the Oracle Park Garden.
- Graduating students do not need a ticket to enter but must be wearing full SF State regalia.
- Guests may enter at the Willie Mays Plaza Entrance, Lefty O’Doul Entrance or Second Street Entrance.
- Concessions are open throughout Oracle Park including the graduating students staging area.
5:15 p.m. Graduating students must be assembled in the staging area (accessible by the Marina Gate Entrance).
Any graduating student who is not inside the Grad Zone by 5:15 PM will not be able to take part in the procession. After 5:15 PM, enter the park through any guest entrance and ask an attendant to direct you to the graduate seating area in the Lower Box section.
5:30 p.m. Graduating student procession begins.
6:30 p.m. Ceremony begins (estimated time).
9:30 p.m. Fireworks – Ceremony concludes (estimated time).
Commencement will take place rain or shine. Guests should come prepared if inclement weather is expected on Commencement Day.
All seats at Commencement are first come/first served.
The following ballpark rules will be enforced:
- Graduates or guests entering the playing field, or who throw (or attempt to throw) objects in the stands or onto the field, are subject to ejection and criminal prosecution.
- No alcohol (this includes non-alcoholic beer and wine) or illegal drugs may be brought into Oracle Park.
- Oracle Park is a Smoke-Free ballpark. Electronic smoking and smoking by vaporization are included in this "Smoke-Free" designation and are prohibited.
- Guests should keep their ticket stubs with them at all times.
- Sealed plastic bottles and soft-sided juice containers containing non-alcoholic beverages are allowed in Oracle Park. Unsealed plastic bottles and soft-sided containers will be subject to inspection and may be confiscated. Glass and metal cans are not permitted.
- Items intended for sale or trade may not be brought onto Oracle Park property, including the main parking lot, without a permit or license.
- Air horns are prohibited in the park.
- Large bags or containers measuring OVER 16" x 16" x 8" are not allowed into the ballpark. All permitted bags, including purses, briefcases, and diaper bags (smaller than 16" x 16" x 8") may be searched before entering the park. Guests are encouraged to arrive early to allow additional time when entering the park.
Commencement occurs in a public venue and will be recorded and photographed for distribution through various SF State outlets. All audience members (or parents/ guardians of minors attending the event) acknowledge that they may appear on these recordings and photographs by virtue of their attendance at or participation in Commencement, and agree to the University’s use of photographed or videotaped materials through the University’s websites, applications and other channels of communication.